30 July 2009

In Which Men are Oddly Necessary and Still at Fault

I am still trying to process this article: My First Abortion Party.

Of course, it is designed to be slightly provocative but I think there is major unresolved tension in the execution (no pun intended) of an ironically practical idea.

"Abortion is, after all, a very tricky topic -- a minefield of opinions where the slightest misstep can elicit unexpected reactions from friends, family, co-workers and strangers. Though I would classify myself an ardent pro-choicer, I also recognize that I am a man, and therefore somewhat of a problematic player in the debate. It’s never been made clear to me what sort of involvement I’m entitled to on the issue, and I don’t feel particularly confident making judgment calls about women -- whatever their political leanings.

I did, however, think the extent to which Maggie’s friends were eager to vilify her partner was peculiar. These were liberal people, after all -- people whose views on sex were worlds away from anything someone might consider "modest." I couldn’t help but notice how aggressive and, for lack of a better term, ‘male’ their attitudes became when confronted with the issue of a woman’s right to choose. It was almost as if, in the process of upholding an ideal of openness and acceptance, they had fallen victim to the same forces they were trying to critique."

Like I said, I'm still processing. Also read a fascinating reaction piece here. Thoughts?

1 Comments:

Blogger Emily Kreps said...

And to think that I'd agree with Andrew Sullivan on something...

"The narrow assertion I want to make is that the social norms we are inculcating are working to safeguard reproductive choices for women, and to undermine men's investment in pregnancies and child-rearing."

Spot on.

Thanks for posting this.

July 31, 2009 6:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home